The day Amazon started – level 2
Amazon.com was founded by Jeff Bezos on July 5, 1994, as a small online bookstore in his garage in Washington.
Bezos previously worked in finance and had a passion for technology. He quickly realized that he could use the internet to offer a much larger selection of books than any physical bookstore and sell them at lower prices.
Bezos chose the name “Amazon” because it was unique and connected to something big, the Amazon River. Bezos wanted his company to be as large and powerful as the Amazon River. He also liked that the name began with the letter “A”, which would put the company at the top of alphabetical lists.
As Amazon.com became more popular, it started to offer more than just books. The new products were music, movies, and electronics.
Today, Amazon.com is one of the world’s largest and most successful companies.
What motivated Jeff Bezos to expand Amazon.com's product offerings beyond books?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.