The day when the chess Match of the Century began – level 1
Bobby Fischer is a very good chess player. He comes from the US. Boris Spassky is a very good player, too. He comes from the Soviet Union. Fischer never wins a match against Spassky.
An important match between Fischer and Spassky happens in June 1972. It happens in Iceland. Spassky is the world champion. Fischer wants to change it.
Then many problems happen. Fischer comes to Iceland two days late. He wants to change many things.
The first game starts on July 11. Spassky wins. Fischer is angry. Fischer says that TV cameras make him nervous.
The second game happens in another room without TV cameras. This helps Fischer. Fischer wins the match. The Soviet Union loses after 24 years.
Difficult words: chess (a difficult game for two players who play on a square board), world champion (a person who is better at something than other people from all world), nervous (worried and afraid).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.