The day the earthquake hit Haiti – level 2
Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world. Millions of Haitians live in extreme poverty. More than half of the country can’t get basic health care.
And in 2010, it started to be even worse. On January 12, 2010, one of the biggest earthquakes in history hit Haiti. Hundreds of thousands of people lost their lives and millions lost their homes.
People were very scared and they ran out of buildings. They tried to hide wherever they could.
The situation in the capital was the worst. It only took 60 seconds for the earthquake to take the city to the ground. The epicenter of the earthquake was only 15 kilometers from the city.
When people in the world got the news about the disaster, many of them went to Haiti to help the people who lived there.
What was the impact of the 2010 earthquake in Haiti and how did it affect the country's poverty rate and access to healthcare?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.