The day of the Costa Concordia disaster – level 2
Costa Concordia was a big luxury ship. On January 13, 2012, the ship was traveling near the coast of Italy.
The ship changed its planned direction to greet people on one island. After the change of direction, the ship collided with a rock hidden underwater.
The collision made a 35-meter-long hole in the ship. Seawater flooded the engine rooms. The ship lost power and began to lean to one side. Then it partially sank near the coast.
The evacuation process was delayed, and it took about six hours to evacuate the passengers and crew.
The world experienced one of the worst sea disasters of the 21st century. 32 people died during the accident and many were injured.
What safety protocols have been implemented since the Costa Concordia disaster to ensure that this kind of accident does not happen again?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.