The day of the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster – level 1
On January 16, 2003, six astronauts from the US and one astronaut from Israel prepare for a journey to space. They want to go in the Space Shuttle Columbia. At the start, one part of the shuttle is broken. But experts at NASA think that it isn’t a big problem.
The astronauts continue their journey. They do many experiments in space. 16 days later, it is time for their journey back to Earth. All seven astronauts are happy that they are going home.
The shuttle enters the Earth’s atmosphere. The temperature goes up and up. The temperature is too high for the broken part of the shuttle.
There is an explosion. The shuttle is destroyed in the sky. All seven astronauts die in the accident.
After the accident, NASA stops the shuttle journeys to space. They start again in 2005.
What safety measures did NASA implement after the accident that allowed space travel to resume in 2005?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.