The day of the worst sea disaster – level 1
It is winter 1945. A big ship in the Baltic Sea is going to Germany. The ship is full of people who are running away from the Russian army. There are 10,582 people on the ship.
On January 30, 1945, a Russian submarine sees the ship. The order is clear to “Sink every big German ship.”
The submarine sends 4 torpedoes. Three torpedoes hit the ship. All the people on the ship start to fight for their lives.
The temperature is minus 18 degrees Celsius. It is so cold that 5 of 11 lifeboats are frozen to the ship. It isn’t possible to use these lifeboats.
The big ship sinks in 50 minutes. 9,343 people die in the disaster. No other sea disaster takes so many lives.
Difficult words: order (an instruction), sink (to send under water), torpedo (a weapon which travels under water), to fight for their lives (to try to survive),lifeboat (a small boat on a big ship), frozen (when water is frozen, it is hard).
How many people died on the big ship when it sank in the Baltic Sea in 1945?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.