The day of the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster – level 2
On January 16, 2003, six astronauts from the US and one from Israel boarded the Space Shuttle Columbia. At the start, the heat shield was damaged a little but experts thought that it wasn’t a big problem.
The astronauts continued their journey and they did many experiments in space. 16 days later, the time came to return to Earth. All seven astronauts were looking forward to going back to Earth.
When the shuttle entered the Earth’s atmosphere, the temperature on the surface of the shuttle went up and up. At one moment, it was too much for the damaged heat shield. There was an explosion and the shuttle was destroyed in the sky. All seven astronauts died in the accident.
After the accident, NASA shuttle missions were stopped until 2005 when the Space Shuttle Discovery was sent into space.
Difficult words: space shuttle (a plane for going to space – spacecraft), heat shield (a layer of material which protects something from high temperature), damaged (broken), surface (what covers something), until (to one moment in time).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.