The day of the Kursk submarine disaster – level 2
On August 12, 2000, the Russian submarine Kursk was in the Barents Sea. There were 118 men on board.
During an army exercise, a training torpedo exploded inside the submarine. The submarine started sinking. When it reached the seafloor two minutes later, there was another, much stronger explosion. Five other torpedoes exploded.
Many sailors died in the second explosion, but 23 men survived in one section of the submarine. Unfortunately, a fire started in this section and it took the last oxygen from this area. All 118 men on board the submarine died.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.