The day of the fall of Constantinople – level 2
The fall of Constantinople, today’s Istanbul, happened on May 29, 1453, after a 53-day blockade, when the Ottoman army went through the walls of the city and captured it.
Constantinople was the capital of the Byzantine Empire for over a thousand years, and was one of the most important and richest cities in Europe.
The fall of Constantinople marked the end of the Byzantine Empire, and the beginning of the Ottoman Empire, which became a major world power until the early 20th century.
Difficult words: capture (to get control of a place), Ottoman Empire (an empire centered in today’s Turkey between 14th and 20th century which controlled Southeast Europe, Western Asia and Northern Africa).
What societal, political, and economic factors do you think contributed to the ultimate fall of the Byzantine Empire?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.