The day of the fall of Constantinople – level 1
Constantinople is Istanbul today. Constantinople is a very important and rich city. In 1453, it is the capital of the Byzantine Empire.
On May 29, 1453 Constantinople falls to the Ottoman army. At that moment the Ottoman Empire starts to control the city. It is the end of the Byzantine Empire. It is the beginning of the Ottoman Empire which becomes very big and powerful.
Difficult words: capital (a city where the government is), Ottoman Empire (an empire in today’s Turkey between 14th and 20th century which controls Southeast Europe, Western Asia and Northern Africa).
What was the significance of Constantinople's fall to the Ottoman Empire?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.