The day Alcatraz was closed – level 2
In 1934, Alcatraz prison was opened in the United States. It was located on an island near San Francisco. Not only the most serious criminals but also prisoners who often tried to escape were brought here from all over the USA. It was difficult to escape from the prison because the water around it was very cold and there were strong sea currents.
During Alcatraz’s operation, there were 14 attempts in which 36 men tried to escape. Almost all the attempts were well documented and the men were caught again or died. Only one attempt had an unknown result. Three men escaped on a special boat made of raincoats, and they were never caught.
After 29 years, the prison was closed on March 21, 1963, because the operating costs were very high. Today, the prison is a museum.
What do you think became of the three men who successfully escaped from Alcatraz Prison in 1962?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.