The day the Mona Lisa was stolen – level 1
Vincenzo Peruggia is from Italy. He works in a museum. The museum is the Louvre in Paris. The Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci is in the museum.
On August 21, 1911, the museum is closed. Only museum workers are there.
Peruggia goes to the room with the Mona Lisa. Nobody is there. He takes the painting from the wall. He puts his clothes around the painting. Then he leaves the museum. Nobody stops him on the way.
Peruggia has the painting in his apartment in Paris. Two years later, he returns to Italy. He takes the painting with him. He has the painting in his apartment in Florence.
Then he contacts an owner of an art gallery. Peruggia wants to sell the Mona Lisa to him. The owner tells the police. The police take Peruggia to prison.
In the next few days, the Mona Lisa travels around Italy. People are happy when they see the painting. Then Italy returns the painting to the Louvre. After this moment, the painting is more famous than before.
Difficult words: the Louvre (a big museum in Paris), painting (a big picture), apartment (a flat, a place that you rent where you live), owner (a person who has something).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.