The day of the First Geneva Convention – level 1
It is 1859. There is a war between France and Austria. On June 24, there is a big battle in the north of Italy.
Shortly after the battle, the Swiss businessman Henry Dunant comes to the place of the battle. He is shocked. He sees a place with thousands of injured soldiers. Nobody helps them. They are in pain. They are dying. It is horrible.
Dunant starts to organize help for the injured soldiers. He asks the local people for help. He is telling people that they are all brothers. Dunant says that all injured men must get help.
When Dunant is back in Geneva, he works on an international conference. He is successful.
On August 22, 1864, the Swiss government invites the governments of other countries to Geneva, Switzerland. The conference is successful. Twelve countries sign a convention.
Difficult words: battle (a big fight of many people), injured (when your body is broken), local (from a place where something is), successful (very good), invite (to tell somebody to come to your house), sign (to write your name on a document), convention (an official contract).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.