The day the construction of Big Ben began – level 3
Big Ben is the nickname for a big bell. The bell is placed in a clock tower in London and weighs over 13 tons.
However, when people speak about Big Ben, they often mean not only the bell but the whole tower.
The tower’s construction began on September 28, 1843, and was completed in 1859. The tower stands at a height of 96 meters, making it one of the most recognizable structures in London.
The clock mechanism began keeping time on May 31, 1859. The clock keeps accurate time to within one second.
In 2012, the clock tower was officially renamed the Elizabeth Tower in honor of Queen Elizabeth II.
What is the maximum number of steps that one must take to reach the top of the Elizabeth Tower?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.