The day the Battle of Mogadishu began – level 3
On October 3rd, 1993, the infamous Battle of Mogadishu began. This intense, two-day urban conflict took place in the heart of Mogadishu, the capital city of Somalia, and was fought between the US Army and Somali fighters.
The US Army was assigned to capture two of the top Somali soldiers. The operation was planned to last an hour, but it changed into an intense battle during which two US helicopters were shot down. The helicopters crashed deep into the enemy territory. The US soldiers tried to save the survivors of the crashes.
After a long fight, the survivors were rescued but the casualties on both sides were heavy, with 18 American soldiers killed, and 73 injured. The Somali fighters had even bigger losses, with an estimated 300-500 killed and over a thousand injured.
What lasting effects did the Battle of Mogadishu have on Somalia?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.