The day of the first modern Olympics – level 2
The first modern Olympics started in Athens, Greece on April 6, 1896. It was almost 1,500 years after the last ancient Olympics.
241 athletes from 14 countries competed in nine sports. The sports included athletics, cycling, fencing, gymnastics, shooting, swimming, tennis, weightlifting, and wrestling.
The first modern Olympics didn’t include any team sports, but they included some unusual sports. For example, there is a 100-meter swimming race for sailors, a 12-hour bicycle race, and weightlifting with one hand. The weightlifting competition was won by an athlete from Denmark who lifted a weight of 111.5 kilograms with one hand.
The first modern Olympics were a major success. They were watched by a crowd of 80,000 people.
Difficult words: ancient (thousands of years old), fencing (a sport in which people fight with swords).
What were the three unusual sports included in the first modern Olympics?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.