The day the first journey around the world ended – level 1
Ferdinand Magellan is from Portugal. He works for Spain. He is a leader of an expedition. The expedition wants to go to Asia in 1519. The expedition wants to find a new way to Asia around South America. The expedition has five ships with 270 men.
The expedition wants to bring spices from Asia. The expedition is long and hard. Many men die. Ferdinand Magellan dies, too.
The expedition comes to Asia. It takes spices. Then, it continues west across the Indian Ocean and around Africa.
Only one ship with 18 men returns to Spain. It is on September 6, 1522. It is the first journey around the world. Now, it is clear that the Earth is round.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.