The day the world saw the first cloned sheep – level 2
Dolly was a sheep born on July 5, 1996. She looked like a normal sheep, but she wasn’t normal. She was an exact copy of another sheep. She was created without a ram, without the use of sperm.
She was created by scientists in Scotland. They used a special method.
They took an egg cell from one sheep and took out the nucleus. Then, they took the nucleus from the cell of another sheep and put it into the egg cell of the first sheep. They created an embryo from this special cell. They put the embryo into the third sheep, which later gave birth to a new young sheep.
This method was new at that time. The scientists had to make many attempts. In the end, there were 276 unsuccessful attempts, but attempt 277 was successful, and a healthy sheep was born. It was named Dolly.
Her existence was kept secret for half a year before she grew a little. Then the scientists knew that it was time to speak to the journalists.
On February 22, 1997, journalists from all over the United Kingdom came to Scotland where the scientists informed them about this success.
Difficult words: ram (a male sheep), sperm (a very small male body part that makes a baby), egg (a very small female body part that makes a baby), cell (a very small part of a body), nucleus (the central part of a cell), embryo (a baby that is growing inside the mother’s body) attempt (a moment when you try to do something).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.