The day the Tour de France began – level 2
The first Tour de France began on July 1, 1903, in Paris.
The race was organized by a French newspaper which wanted to increase the number of its readers.
The race was 19 days long and it was 2,428 kilometers long.
The first Tour de France was so difficult that only 21 of the 60 riders finished the race.
The race was a huge success, and it increased the number of its readers. Before the race, the newspaper sold around 25,000 copies per day. The number more than doubled to around 65,000 copies per day during the race.
Today, the Tour de France is one of the most famous bicycle races in the world.
What are some other famous bicycle races in the world?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.