The day the Klondike Gold Rush started – level 3
In 1896, hundreds of people were looking for gold around the Klondike River in Canada. They believed they would find a lot of gold there, but they looked for some time without success. Everything changed on August 16 when four miners found a lot of gold. The news of their discovery soon spread and miners from the surrounding areas began to move to the location of the discovery.
The world learned about it almost a year later when the first rich people started to leave the Klondike area and arrived in San Francisco, California. A gold rush broke out among the population.
Soon, about 100,000 people mostly men left their jobs and their families. They headed north to the Klondike. They were driven by the vision of getting rich easily and experiencing an adventure. In reality, they met with cold, wild nature and hard work.
In the end, only a few hundred managed to get rich. The others returned empty-handed or never returned. Many of those who managed to get rich lost their fortunes and died in poverty.
What challenges did miners need to overcome to become successful in the Klondike gold rush?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.