The day the Iran hostage crises started – level 2
In 1979, there is a revolution in Iran. It ends the rule of the Shah. Iran becomes an Islamic republic. The Shah wants to go to the United States to go to a hospital because he is ill. Americans aren’t happy but agree.
On November 4, 1979, there is a large protest of students who support the revolution in Tehran. American flags are burnt. People ask for the Shah’s return because they want to judge him for his crimes. Protesters go to the US embassy. Employees of the embassy become hostages. The country’s main spiritual leader, Ayatollah Khomeini, supports the takeover of the US embassy.
The Americans are trying to help the hostages through diplomacy, but that doesn’t work. Then the Americans prepare a military rescue plan. They send 8 helicopters with specially trained soldiers to Iran.
However, rescue operations aren’t successful. Three helicopters have technical problems, and one helicopter crashes into another American plane. The hostages stay in Iran for 444 day. Then they can go home.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.