The day the Berlin Wall fell – level 1
It is August 13, 1961. East German police put wire between East Berlin and West Berlin. The police stop traffic between the two parts. They cut telephone lines.
The reason for this activity is simple. The East German government wants to stop East Germans who want to go to West Germany. 3.5 million East Germans are already in East Germany. It is about 20% of East Germans.
Soon, East Germans start to build a wall between the two parts of Berlin. 7,000 soldiers control the wall. Now, people can’t go from East Berlin to West Berlin. The wall is 155 kilometers long.
The Berlin Wall is a symbol of the Cold War. It divides one of the biggest cities in Europe. It divides families and friends.
28 long years after the construction of the Berlin Wall, the situation in the Soviet Union is changing. This also affects East Germany.
On November 9, 1989, the Berlin Wall is open. Thousands of Berliners from both parts of Berlin meet at the Brandenburg Gate. They are happy. Families and friends can live freely in one city now.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.