The day Terry Fox started the Marathon of Hope – level 1
Terry Fox is from Canada. He loves to run. When he is 17 years old, doctors tell him that he has cancer in his right leg. His leg must be amputated.
Terry wants to help other people who have cancer. He wants to collect money for cancer research. He has an idea. He wants to run across Canada. He wants to collect 24 million dollars. It is the number of people who live in Canada. The name of his run is the Marathon of Hope.
On April 12, 1980, Terry Fox starts his run. He runs with his prosthesis for 42 kilometers every day. He wants to run 8,000 kilometers.
In the beginning, he can’t collect much money. Then it all changes in Montreal. There, an owner of a hotel chain sees what Terry is doing.
He likes his idea. The hotel owner offers Terry food and to stay at his hotels during his journey. He also gives Terry money. He asks other big companies to give money, too.
Terry gets more and more money. On February 1981, his dream is reality. People give 24 million dollars for cancer research.
Difficult words: cancer (a very bad illness), amputated (when a part of your body is cut), research (when you try to find new facts), prosthesis (a leg which is not natural), owner (a person who has something), chain (many hotels under one company).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.