The day of the U-2 incident – level 2
On May 1, 1960, an American spy plane was flying over the Soviet Union. The name of the plane was U-2.
The plane was equipped with cameras, which allowed it to take detailed photographs of Soviet military bases.
The plane was shot down by a missile fired by Soviet air defense.
The pilot jumped from the plane and parachuted to the ground. He was captured by Soviet authorities, and was held prisoner for nearly two years. Then, he was released in a prisoner exchange.
The U-2 incident wasn’t good for the United States because it exposed the fact that the US military plane was flying over the Soviet Union.
The U-2 incident was bad for US-Soviet relations and increased tensions during the Cold War.
What lasting repercussions did the U-2 incident have on US-Soviet relations and the Cold War?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.