The day Louis XVI was executed – level 2
In the eighteenth century, France was a country of two very different worlds. Many people were very poor. Sometimes they couldn’t make enough money to buy bread. Nobles lived their lives in luxury.
It was logical that people wanted the same life for all, and they began to prepare an attack. They attacked the Bastille and the French Revolution started.
King Louis XVI decided to escape from France. However, during his escape he was caught before he reached the borders, and he was returned to Paris. The fact that he tried to escape from France was a crime to the French people.
The people put Louis XVI in prison. He was executed on January 21, 1793. His death was an important moment in the revolution. Then, power was given to the people and France became a republic.
Difficult words: noble (a person who is a member of the highest social class), Bastille (an old prison in Paris), escape (to run away), border (a line between two countries), execute (to kill somebody as a punishment), republic (a government where the people choose the leaders).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.