The day jeans were patented – level 1
Levi Strauss is from Germany. He comes to the United States in 1847.
In 1853, Strauss travels to San Francisco. He opens a business with fabric in San Francisco.
In 1872, Strauss gets a letter from Jacob Davis who is a tailor. Davis has a new idea for strong trousers. He wants to patent his idea. Davis asks Strauss for help with the patent.
Strauss and Davis get the patent for the new idea on May 20, 1873.
The jeans made by Strauss and Davis are blue and very strong.
Jeans quickly become popular among miners and cowboys because they need strong trousers for their work.
Over time, jeans become a symbol of American culture. People of all ages and social classes like jeans.
What are some other ways jeans have become a symbol in our culture?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.