The day gambling was legalized in Las Vegas – level 3
In the early 20th century, Las Vegas was a small town in the middle of the desert. There were just rocks and stones hundreds of kilometers around it.
Everything changed with the decision to build a large dam on the Colorado River. The construction brought tens of thousands of workers to Nevada. They were far away from their families and they needed to have some fun. This was a chance for Las Vegas that was only 48 kilometers away.
Las Vegas was a place where gambling, prostitution, and selling alcohol had prospered before the building of the dam, even though all of this was banned in America at that time. The US government therefore built a completely new town for the workers near the dam to keep them under control.
However, the workers wanted fun, and the Las Vegas businessmen wanted to give it to them. There was also help from Nevada’s government because they gave permission for gambling on March 19, 1931.
The first official casinos appeared in the city and the number of visitors began to increase. In addition to the workers from the dam, people from other parts of the USA began to come to Las Vegas to have fun. Expensive restaurants, hotels and performances by famous artists became a common thing. The number of visitors kept increasing. Today, Las Vegas is the most visited city in the world with more than 40 million visitors a year.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.