The day Fidel Castro took control over Cuba – level 1
It is 1956. Fidel Castro wants a revolution in Cuba. He is with only 19 men in the mountains in Cuba. From this moment, he begins his journey to power.
At the beginning, he and his men attack small groups of the Cuban army. They attack them because they need their weapons.
Castro speaks to people about his ideas. More and more people start to believe him. They start to believe in a better future.
More and more people attack the Cuban army. One day, there are so many attacks that a revolution starts. The president of Cuba, Fulgencio Batista, must run away from the country.
On January 2, 1959, people take control over the big cities without a fight. People are happy but nobody knows what will come next.
On January 9, 1959, and Fidel Castro comes to Havana, Cuba, with his men. From this moment, they control all of Cuba.
A new government starts. The government is not very good. Many people aren’t happy. They run away on boats. They run away to the USA. The USA is only 150 kilometres away.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.