The day Columbus discovered America – level 1
It is the summer of 1492. Three small ships are preparing for a journey across the ocean. They are in Spain. There are 100 men on these ships. Their boss is Christopher Columbus.
Columbus says that the Earth is a ball. He says that people can go to Asia by ship across the Atlantic Ocean. People in Europe want to go to Asia because they want to do business there.
The men on the ships don’t know that Columbus’s idea is wrong. The journey to Asia is three times longer than Columbus thinks.
It’s October 7. The men are at sea for 29 days. On that day, the men see big groups of birds in the sky. Columbus starts to follow the birds.
Five days later, on October 12, 1492, the men see land. The land is one of the islands in the Bahamas. When they go on the island, they meet people. Columbus calls them Indians. He thinks that he is in Asia.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.