The day World War II began – level 2
Since 1936, Adolf Hitler, the leader of the Nazis in Germany, got more and more power in Europe. Britain and France watched his activities but didn’t stop him.
The Nazis in Germany wanted to unite all German-speaking people and make one big country. Hitler planned to take over Austria. His men helped the Austrian Nazis to get power and in March 1938, Austria became a part of Germany.
In September 1938, Britain and France agreed that Germany could take parts of western Czechoslovakia which also became a part of Germany.
Poland was the next country that Hitler wanted to take over. On 1 September 1939, German soldiers came to Poland, and the worst war in history started. The war was almost six years long, and around 80 million people died.
What did Britain and France do to help Poland when Germany invaded in 1939?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.