The day Tutankhamun’s tomb was discovered – level 2
We are in Egypt in the Valley of the Kings. It is a famous place where pharaohs lie in their tombs. It’s the beginning of the 20th century. People think that all the tombs are already discovered.
However, British archaeologist Howard Carter doesn’t agree. He tries to find another tomb. He works for 13 years, but he isn’t successful. Now he doesn’t have money and his time in Egypt is coming to an end. Then he is lucky.
One day, one of his workers discovers a small hole. Workers dig deeper and they find stairs which go down. There is a closed door at the end of the stairs. Nobody knows what’s behind that door.
On November 26, 1922, they make a small hole in the door. They look inside and see a room with many interesting objects. The objects are part of the tomb of Tutankhamun. He was a pharaoh and he was buried there three thousand years ago.
The tomb has 4 rooms. People start to clear the rooms one by one. They document all the objects. There are many objects in the rooms, so this work takes many months.
Tutankhamun’s sarcophagus is finally found in the last room. The sarcophagus is closed. When they open it, they find a coffin. The coffin is made of pure gold. The mummy of the pharaoh is inside.
Difficult words: valley (an area between two mountains), pharaoh (a boss of ancient Egypt), tomb (a stone structure where a dead person is buried), however (but), dig (to make a hole in the ground), document (to write down, to record), sarcophagus (a stone box for a dead body), coffin (a long box for a dead person), mummy (a dead body which is wrapped in special cloth).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.