The day Tutankhamun’s tomb was discovered – level 1
We are in Egypt. We are in the Valley of the Kings. It is a famous place. Pharaohs are in their tombs there.
It’s the beginning of the 20th century. People think that there are no new tombs in the valley.
British archaeologist Howard Carter doesn’t agree. He tries to find another tomb.
He works for 13 years, but he isn’t successful. After 13 years, he doesn’t have money. His time in Egypt is coming to an end. Then, he is lucky.
One day, one of his workers finds a small hole. Workers make the hole bigger. They find stairs. The stairs go down. There is a closed door at the end of the stairs. Nobody knows what’s behind that door.
On November 26, 1922, they make a small hole in the door. They look inside. They see a room with many interesting objects. The objects are part of the tomb of Pharaoh Tutankhamun. The tomb is three thousand years old.
The tomb has 4 rooms. People start to clear the rooms one by one. They document all the objects. This work takes many months because there are many objects in the rooms.
Tutankhamun’s sarcophagus is in the last room. The sarcophagus is closed. When people open it, they find a coffin. The coffin is made of gold. The mummy of the pharaoh is inside.
Difficult words: valley (an area between two mountains), pharaoh (a leader in old Egypt), tomb (a stone structure where a dead person is buried), century (100 years), clear (to take out things, to clean), document (to write down), sarcophagus (a stone box for a dead body), coffin (a long box for a dead person), mummy (a dead body which is wrapped in special cloth).
What is the most interesting thing that archaeologists discovered in Tutankhamun's tomb?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.