The day the Yalta Conference started – level 1
In February 1945, it is clear that World War II is coming to an end. The Russian army is coming from the east. It is going to Germany. It is only 65 kilometers from Berlin. The US and British soldiers are coming to Germany from the west.
In this situation, on February 4, 1945, Roosevelt, Stalin, and Churchill meet in Yalta, in the Soviet Union. They meet because they want to speak about Europe after the war.
Stalin wants control over countries in Eastern Europe. Churchill disagrees. He wants democracy in these countries. Roosevelt wants help from Stalin in the war against Japan.
They agree to do this. Stalin helps Roosevelt fight Japan. Germany is divided into 4 parts. The parts are Russian, American, British, and French.
Stalin can keep the eastern part of Poland. Russians can take Germans to Russia for work. Germany must pay money to the winners of the war.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.