The day the Watergate scandal started – level 3
Sometime after midnight on Saturday, June 17, 1972, the security guard of the Watergate complex in Washington noticed tape on some of the back entrance doors. The tape allowed the doors to close but they stayed unlocked. The guard called the police who arrested five uninvited guests in the offices of the headquarters of the Democratic Party.
An investigation began, and it became clear that President Richard Nixon, who was a member of the Republican Party, also knew about the break-in at the offices of the Democratic Party.
When the investigation reached the point where it seemed that Nixon would be removed from the presidency, he resigned in August 1974. It was the first resignation of an American president in history.
What do you think motivated the break in at the headquarters of the Democratic Party?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.