The day the US stopped fighting in Vietnam – level 3
Vietnam was divided into North Vietnam and South Vietnam since the 1950s with the Communists controlling the north. The Americans closely monitored the situation in Vietnam and were helping in South Vietnam.
By 1963, the North Vietnamese had sent 40,000 soldiers to fight in South Vietnam. North Vietnam was heavily backed by Russia and China. In response to North Vietnamese activities, American soldiers were sent to Vietnam in 1964.
It wasn’t an easy situation for young American soldiers, as they found themselves in an unfamiliar environment in a thick jungle and unbearable heat. A lot of insects and poisonous snakes were everywhere. The enemies were often disguised as ordinary farmers.
The war was long and the losses on the American side were huge, therefore, demonstrations to end the war started in the United States. On January 27, 1973, an agreement to end the war was signed in Paris.
What effect did the Vietnam War have on the American public?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.