The day the top of Mount Everest was reached – level 1
Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world. It is 8848 meters high.
It is March 1953. A British expedition comes to the Himalayas. The expedition has 11 climbers, 20 Sherpas, and 350 helpers.
Edmund Hilary from New Zealand is on the expedition, too. He is 33 years old. It is his second attempt to go to the top.
The climbers make a camp at 8,000 meters. First two men try to go to the top. Sadly, they aren’t successful.
Three days later, Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay try to go to the top of Mount Everest. It is very difficult. There is a lot of ice and snow on the mountain. They go very slowly.
It is May 29, 1953. Hillary and Norgay come to the top of Mount Everest. They spend 15 minutes on the top. Then they start a very difficult and dangerous way back down.
Difficult words: climber (a person who climbs as a sport), Sherpa (a person from the Himalayas who works as a guide), attempt (a moment when you try to do something), successful (when you are successful, you get what you want).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.