The day the plane was invented – level 2
People always wanted to fly. In the 18th century, it was discovered that hot air goes up and the first balloon was made. The first airship was made 100 years later. However, people wanted a flying machine that could fly like birds.
In 1892, two brothers, Orville and Wilbur Wright, open a bicycle shop in the United States. They are also interested in building the first plane. Their business with bicycles is successful. So, they have money and time to work on their dream.
They test 200 different types of wings before they finally find the right shape after 4 years. With the right wings, they build their first glider and fly with it.
After that, a mechanic from their shop makes a special type of a light engine. They attach the engine and propellers to the glider. They try to fly with it, but the first flight isn’t successful.
On December 17, 1903, they try again. This time, they are successful. The plane takes off and flies. The flight is 12 seconds long and they fly 36 meters. The brothers are extremely happy that they can fly.
Difficult words: airship (a big flying machine filled with gas), however (but), glider (a light plane which has no engine), mechanic (a person who works on parts in a vehicle), attach (to connect one thing to another), propeller (two long pieces of wood which turn around very quickly and make the plane fly).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.