The day the plane was invented – level 1
People want to fly. People use balloons with hot air at the beginning. Then, they make airships. But people also want a machine which can fly like a bird.
In 1892, two brothers, Orville and Wilbur Wright, open a shop with bicycles in the United States. They also want to build the first plane. Their business with bicycles is very good. So, they have money and time to work on their dream.
They test 200 different types of wings. After four years of testing, they have the right wings. They build their first glider. They fly with this glider.
After that, a worker from their shop makes a special light engine. They connect the engine to the glider. They try to fly with this new glider, but the first flight isn’t successful.
On December 17, 1903, they try again. This time, they are successful. The plane flies for 12 seconds. The plane flies 36 meters. The brothers are extremely happy that they can fly.
Difficult words: airship (a big machine which uses light gas for flying), dream (something that you want), glider (a light plane which has no engine), engine (a motor), flight (a journey in a plane), successful (with a good result).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.