The day the Nobel Prizes are awarded – level 1
The Nobel Prize is a very special prize. It is a prize for a scientist, writer, economist, or politician. People get the Nobel Prize for physics, chemistry, medicine, literature, economics, and peace.
In 1867, Alfred Nobel is a famous man. He invents dynamite. He is rich.
At the end of his life, Nobel starts to understand that people remember him only as a man who invents dynamite. He doesn’t like it because dynamite kills people. He wants to do something good.
Nobel has an idea. He says that he wants to give 94% of his money to a special fund. It is a fund which gives money to people who do something very good.
Nobel dies on December 10, 1896, and people get the first Nobel Prizes on December 10, 1901. Now, people get the Nobel Prizes every year.
Each Nobel Prize laureate gets a gold medal, a diploma, and almost 1 million US dollars.
There are many famous people who got the Nobel Prize, for example Albert Einstein, Marie Sklodowska-Curie, Ernest Hemingway, and Mother Teresa.
Difficult words: prize (a thing which people get because they do something good or special), invent (to do something new), dynamite (a thing that people use to make things explode), fund (an organization which gives money to people), laureate (somebody who gets an important prize), almost (nearly, but not completely).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.