The day the longest railway tunnel was opened – level 2
The longest railway tunnel in the world is in Switzerland. Its name is the Gotthard Base Tunnel and it runs under the Alps. The tunnel is 57 kilometers long.
The construction of the tunnel began in November 1999 and took over 16 years to complete. It cost over $10 billion to build.
Over 2,500 workers built the tunnel. They had to remove out 28 million tons of rock. They used drilling and explosives to make a big hole through the hard rock of the Alps.
The Gotthard Base Tunnel is not only the longest railway tunnel in the world, but it is also one of the deepest. It runs 2.3 kilometers below the surface of the mountains.
The tunnel was officially opened on 1 June 2016.
What other records does the Gotthard Base Tunnel hold?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.