The day the longest railway tunnel was opened – level 1
The longest railway tunnel in the world is in Switzerland. The tunnel goes under the Alps. The tunnel is 57 kilometers long.
The construction of the tunnel starts in November 1999. The construction is 16 years long. It costs $10 billion.
2,500 workers build the tunnel. They must take out 28 million tons of rock.
The tunnel is very deep too. In some places, it goes 2.3 kilometers under the Alps.
The tunnel officially opens on 1 June 2016.
What other infrastructure investments have Switzerland completed to support its growing population and economy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.