The day the last emperor of China abdicated – level 1
Puyi is the last Chinese emperor. He is born in 1906. He starts to be an emperor when he is only three years old.
Three years later, a revolution starts in China. The people don’t want an emperor. The people want a republic. Puyi must abdicate. It happens on February 12, 1912.
In 1932, the Japanese attack China. The Japanese make a new state in China. They decide that Puyi can be an emperor again. Puyi starts to be an emperor of this new state. But he must do what the Japanese want.
After World War II, communists start to control China. The communists send Puyi to a special camp. They want to give him new education. Puyi spends 10 years in this camp.
After the camp, he lives a normal life. He works as a gardener. He dies at the age of 61 in Beijing.
Difficult words: emperor (a leader of an empire or a large place), revolution (a change in government), republic (a government that has many leaders that work for its people), abdicate (to agree to lose the power), state (an area, a government), communists (Russians during the time that Russia was a Communist government), education (the process of learning), age (the number of years of a person).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.