The day the Klondike Gold Rush started – level 2
In 1896, hundreds of people were looking for gold around the Klondike River in Canada. For some time, they didn’t have a lot of success. Everything changed on August 16 when four miners found a lot of gold. The news of their discovery soon reached other local miners and they started to move to the location of the discovery.
A year later, the first rich miners started to leave the Klondike area and arrived in San Francisco, California. When people got the news about the gold, a gold rush started.
Soon, 100,000 people left their jobs and their families. They went north to the Klondike. They wanted to become rich and experience an adventure. In reality, they met with cold, wild nature and hard work.
In the end, only hundreds of them became rich. The others returned home with nothing or they never returned. Many of those who became rich lost their money and they died poor.
Difficult words: miner (a person who looks for gold), discovery (something new), gold rush (a moment when a lot of people want to find gold in one place), adventure (an interesting and dangerous experience).
What challenges did the miners face during their journey to the Klondike?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.