The day the Iran-Iraq War started – level 2
The Iran-Iraq War began on September 22, 1980, when Iraq attacked Iran. Iraq wanted to get Iran’s oil-rich areas.
Iraq hoped to win quickly, but it didn’t happen. Iran lost some land at the beginning, but it was strong enough to fight back. By June 1982, Iran got back all the lost territory and pushed Iraq back to the pre-war border. The war continued for six more years. It ended on August 20, 1988.
In total, around 500,000 Iraqi and Iranian soldiers died. The border between the two countries stayed the same.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.