The day the Iran hostage crises started – level 1
In 1979, there is a revolution in Iran. The Shah loses his control. Now, Iran is an Islamic republic.
The Shah wants to go to the United States. He wants to go to hospital there because he is ill. Americans say that it is possible. People in Iran aren’t happy.
On November 4, 1979, there is a big demonstration in Tehran. American flags are on fire. People want the Shah back in Iran. They want to send him to prison.
Then, people go to the US embassy. They occupy the embassy. Americans from the embassy are hostages.
The Americans in the USA try to help the hostages peacefully. They try to talk to the Iranians. That doesn’t work.
Then the Americans prepare a plan. They send 8 helicopters with soldiers to Iran. However, the operation isn’t good. Four helicopters have problems. The hostages are not free.
The hostages are in Iran for 444 day. Then they can go home.
Difficult words: Shah (the Iranian word for king), republic (a government where officials listen to the people), demonstration (when people say and show that they are unhappy), embassy (an office which represents one country in another country), occupy (to take control of some place), hostage (a person who is in prison because somebody wants money for the person), soldier (a person in the army).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.