The day the Hollywood Walk of Fame was created – level 1
People want to put stars with names of famous people on a street. This idea comes in 1953. But people wait for seven years to do it.
In 1960, people prepare stars for 8 celebrities. People put these stars on a street in Hollywood. It is on February 8. It is an official ceremony. Later, people put more and more stars on the street.
Today, there are 2,600 stars on the street in Hollywood. Each star has a name. They are names of famous people from film, television, radio, music, or theater. The stars are a gallery of celebrities from show business.
All people can nominate a famous person for a star. People must pay $50,000 for the star. Fan clubs or production companies pay the money.
Each year people choose 20 celebrities.
Today, the Walk of Fame is already two and a half kilometers long.
Difficult words: celebrity (a famous person), ceremony (a formal celebration), gallery (a place where you can see famous art or things), nominate (to choose a person for a prize), fan (somebody who likes a famous person),production company (a company that helps make movies, TV shows, or plays),fame (a thing which you have when you are famous).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.