The day the Gulf War started – level 1
The war between Iran and Iraq is 8 years long. After the war, Iraq must pay money to other countries. However, Iraq doesn’t have money. Nobody wants to give Iraq more money. Saddam Hussein is Iraq’s leader. He has an idea. He says that Kuwait steals oil from Iraq. Kuwait says that it isn’t true.
On August 2, 1990, Iraq attacks Kuwait. Now Saddam Hussein controls Kuwait.
The situation isn’t good for Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia asks the United States for help. The Americans come to Saudi Arabia.
On January 17, 1991 an American air attack starts. After some weeks, the ground attack starts. Kuwait is free. The war is finished. The ground operation is only 100 hours long.
What were the implications of Saddam Hussein's decision to accuse Kuwait of stealing oil from Iraq?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.