The day the Great Fire of Rome started – level 2
A big fire happened in Rome in 64 AD. The fire began in the shops, on the night of July 19. The fire spread very quickly between the wooden buildings in the dry and windy weather.
After six days, the fire was brought under control, but then it started again and continued for three more days. 70 percent of Rome was destroyed in the fire.
Nero was the emperor of Rome, and he was very unpopular at that time. People started to think that Nero started the fire on purpose because he needed space for his new palace.
Nero needed to find somebody to blame quickly so that people wouldn’t be angry at him. He blamed a new religious group, the Christians, for starting the fire.
Difficult words: spread (to cover more and more area), on purpose (because you wanted to do it), blame (to say who is responsible for something bad), religious (connected to religion), Christian (a person who believes in the ideas of Jesus Christ).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.