The day the first satellite was launched – level 2
Sputnik was one of the most famous objects which people made. It was the first artificial satellite, and it started the space race between the Soviet Union and the United States.
The satellite was 58 centimeters wide and the total weight was over 80 kilograms. Sputnik was made of aluminum. It had two transmitters, batteries, a ventilation system, and sensors for temperature and pressure.
It was sent into space on October 4, 1957, from the Baikonur Cosmodrome. It was the moment when the first man-made object entered orbit.
Big celebrations started in the Soviet Union, and many people watched Sputnik in the night sky.
Soon after this moment, the United States started their space agency, NASA.
Difficult words: artificial (not natural), space race (a time when countries fight to develop space technology), aluminium (a very light silver-light metal), transmitter (a machine which sends signal), pressure (when something presses something), orbit (the way in space around the Earth).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.