The day the first person went into space – level 1
Yuri Gagarin is 27 years old. He is preparing for his flight into space. The training for the flight takes months. Six men do this training. Only one man can go to space.
The training is very hard. The men have to stay in a very hot room for 2 hours. They also have to stay alone in one room for fifteen days. They also do parachute training.
In the end, the leaders choose Gagarin. He is a friendly person. He has a good name, Yuri. This name represents the Soviet Union well.
On April 12, 1961, everything is ready at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan. Then, Vostok 1 takes Gagarin into space.
The flight is 108 minutes long. Gagarin flies 327 kilometers above the Earth. He flies around the Earth once. Then Vostok 1 goes down. When Vostok 1 is 7 kilometers above the Earth, Gagarin catapults. Then he parachutes to the ground.
Soon, people all around the world know Gagarin.
Difficult words: stay (to be in one place), choose (to say which thing from many you want), once (only one action), catapult (to throw very quickly into the air), parachute (to jump from a plane and use a parachute).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.